hooray for the Gayest night on tv (besides monday night football) | 9:38 pm | 5 June 2005
the Tonies! Yay. Questions:
- Why is this little annoying queen talentless hack thinking when he’s impersonating this even more annoying, overrated queen?
- “Who’s this moistened bint with a cup in her hand?,” asks Russ…
- of COURSE it’s a METAPHOR, is there really anyone yet who hasn’t read The DaVinci Code?
- STROBE! damned seizures
- “Find your grail. With Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers.” -Russ
- Oh, Kathleen Turner, your plastic surgeon is not your friend. That’s a shame.
- Notable: first, hopefully last, winner thanks “god”
- What is UP with that fucking TIAA/Cref ad? It’s all about selling health insurance, but if they knew where the song came from — DUDE, THEY DIED. And sing the damned song right, anway. OMFG!!!! Hugh Jackman is FUCKING SINGING IT. RIGHT NOW. How the hell much did they pay for THAT?!
- Speaking of ads, can there be more? Starting with a 20 minute TiVo buffer, plus 30 minutes for dinner… and we’re out of buffer. Jeeeebus.
- Suppose I was a Bee. A Gay Bee… or, Tevye…
- SEVEN MINUTES of commercials? Oy.
- and finally: How do you win best musical but none of the rest of what you’ve been nominated for, and how do you win best musical, the grand finale of the night, but get orchestraed off in fifteen seconds?
Overall, though, this was way more fun than the Oscars; better writing, better performances, and just way, way happier. One thing that would be great, is if in addition to all the musical numbers, they featured scenes from all the nominated plays.